Rev. Kathleen Rolenz
Scripture Reading: Psalm 139
- O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.
- You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
- You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
- Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.
- You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
- Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
- Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
- If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, [a] you are there.
- If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
- Even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
- If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"
- even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.
Focusing Questions: How does this scripture connect with your own relationship with God? Sit with the phrase "Where can I flee from your presence" for a moment, and meditate on the feelings of presence and absence in your life. Relate that to your relationship with God.